Benjamin McKay was originally a marine engineer with the P & O Company. After being injured during a war with Japan he returned to Glasgow and became a partner in his brother’s very successful grocery business. In 1871 he came to Lenzie and opened a grocery shop in the two storied building across from what eventually would become Lenzie old Parish Church. He was also instrumental in the building of the Queen’s Building at the time of Queen Victoria’s Jubilee.
Mr McKay was a founder member of Lenzie Old Parish Church and over the years was a great benefactor to the Church, but he would never accept any position in the running of the Church. In 1931 when the Church needed a new organ, money bequeathed by Mr McKay and Mr Alexander Park was used to purchase the organ from the firm of Hill, Norman and Beard.
The Font is constructed of pink alabaster mounted on marble stile columns was gifted by Benjamin McKay in memory of his mother Jean Moray McKay. The Font is traditionally eight sided commemorating Noah, his wife, their three sons and their wives.